This is a general Hindustani Music and Ghazal page. I have started a humble attempt to understand some very popular ghazals and in the process, ghazals with meanings of esoteric urdu words are explained. Please let me know of corrections/comments etc to keep this work consummate and thorough. Thanks for viewing.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Amir Khusro - Khabaram raseed imshab (Persian)



(Beautifully composed and sung in Raag Kedar)

Khabaram raseed imshab ki nigaar khuahi aamad
Sar-e man fidaa-e raah-e ki sawaar khuahi aamad

Tonight there came a news that you, oh beloved, would come –
Be my head sacrificed to the road along which you will come riding!

Ham-e aahwan-e sehra sar-e khud nihada bar kaf
Ba-umeed aankhe bashikaar khuahi aamad

All the gazelles of the desert have put their heads on their hands
In the hope that one day you will come to hunt them….

Kashishe ki ishq daarad naguzaradat badinsaa
Ba-janazah gar nayai ba-mazaar khuahi aamad

The attraction of love won’t leave you unmoved;
Should you not come to my funeral,
you’ll definitely come to my grave.

Balabam raseeda jaanam faube ya ke zindah maanam
Pas azan ki man na-maanam bacha kar khuahi aamad

My soul has come on my lips (e.g. I am on the point of dying);
Come so that I may remain alive -
After I am no longer – for what purpose will you come?

No comments:

Post a Comment